Subject:
1 Corinthians : "The Temple of God"
From:
Miwaza Jemimah
Date:
2010/10/23 6:35
To:
saiwainet

The Temple of God

The are many metaphors that represents the Church in the Bible. In
this letter to the Corinthian Church, Paul used several metaphors as
well. Especially the analogy of “building” is mentioned in relatively
long section of 1 Corinthians 3-4. The analogy explains that we the
Christians who believes in Christ are the Temple of God. Than how did
Paul explained about this symbolism in this letter? Why did Paul used
the analogy of the building to explain the Christians?

The Masterbuilder of the Temple of God

There are several other passages in the Bible that the analogy of the
building or something similar is used for the Christians. But one
thing that is different from other passages is that there is a mention
about the “masterbuilder”. Not only that Paul explained the believers
as the temple of God but he also talked about the people who builds
it.

Jesus Christ the Foundation

This masterbuilder built the Church, the building of God according to
the grace of God on the foundation. And Paul was one of the
masterbuilders and Jesus Christ, God himself is the foundation that he
built the Church on. As Paul mentioned, Paul and other disciples were
not the only one who did the building but the works of each churches
built these churches as well. So Paul exhorted the Church to be aware
of how they build the buildings. Because they may defile the temple of
God by building something else on the foundation.

The Godly Life of Christians

So and so, the temple of God is us, the Christians. So as Paul said,
to build the good building on the Foundation is to live a righteous
life as Christians, and to do good. But on the other hand, if we live
ungoldy life, that defiles the temple of God.

The Collapse of the Temple of God

The Corinthian churches had some issues among them. The issues that
can be considered as “the collapse of the temple of God”. And it seems
that their problems about immorality and hatred among the brothers
were causing big issues especially. Mainly because the church did not
deal with these issues or judge them even if they knew about what is
happening in the church. So the brothers accused each other and had
conflict between them.

Instead of building the temple of God, the Corinthian Church led the
people to defile and collapse it from inside. So Paul warned them by
harsh words. So that they will build themself firmly on the foundation
of Jesus Christ. By doing these Paul called himself and other disciple
“the fellow workers”. To emphasize the fact the they are not the ones
who builds the Church but God is the one who builds them.

God Who Increases Us

Paul used the analogy of the building to explain these things. In
addition to that, Paul also used the analogy of the plant. That he
planted the plants, Apollos watered them and God gave the increase. So
the most important thing in this process is God who increases the
plants.  Whether we will be likened as the building or the plants.
What we have to lay our eyes on is the God that grows us and Jesus
Christ our foundation. So by living godly lives as Christians, we have
to build ourselves firmly on the foundation.